I have been wondering how to do this for some time now – brooding over it actually – and today I figured it out. Way easier than I had anticipated, given my previous attempts last year online. I wanted to share the process.
You are approximately 10 minutes from contact freedom!
Click on the images to open them full size in a new tab.
- Log in to your wireless account at www.verizonwireless.com.
- Scroll down until you see something like this. If you are the primary account holder, click “Manage my Device.” If not, skip to step 3.
- Click Manage My Contacts
- If prompted, sync your Backup Assistant contacts to the cloud. You will have the option to add in contacts from other email accounts. When it gives you the option, click that you are done setting up.
- Next you will see your Verizon Contacts page. Click “Select All” or manually select the contacts you want exported.
- Then click the Gear icon for the dropdown settings menu and select “Export Contact.”
- This popup will appear. Select “Export my contacts to an email service…” Then click “Export.”
- Another popup will appear asking you to name the file you are saving & pick a destination. Then click “Save.”
- Next, log in to your Gmail email account.
- Choose Contacts from the Gmail dropdown menu on the upper left.
- In the center of the page, click the “More” dropdown menu and select “Import.”
- When prompted, choose the file you saved earlier and click “Import.”
- All of your contacts in the saved file will be imported to your Gmail account under a new label. You can rename this label by clicking on the label name in the list of labels on the left, then choosing “Rename Label” under the More dropdown menu.
- You may be prompted to merge duplicate files automatically. If not, you may do this from the More dropdown menu. If you do not like how the files were imported or want to undo them for any reason, select “Restore Contacts”
Your Verizon Backup Assistant contacts will now be available in your Gmail account and any synced Android device. A copy will remain with Verizon but your contacts are now yours. Congrats!
© Michelle Routhieaux 2013